Breaking News

Facebook bans publishing materials of intolerance White nationalism



Facebook said it would ban the publication of material that includes "glorification, support, and representation of nationalistic intolerance of whites and separatist tendencies" on Facebook and Instagram platforms starting next week.

The giant social media company has vowed to strengthen its ability to distinguish and ban material broadcast by terrorist groups

Facebook users, who are looking for hostile words, will turn to a charity that fights extreme far-rightism

The social network was under pressure after a man attacked two mosques in New Zealand by broadcasting live on its platform

In the past, Facebook had allowed some of the articles that included a kind of nationalist intolerance to whites that they did not see as racist - including allowing users to call for the establishment of countries of white ethnic origin only

The company said it viewed national calls for whites as an acceptable form of expression, along with such things as American pride and separatism among Basque people, an important aspect of people's identity




But in a Wednesday posting, the company said that, after three months of consultation with "members of civil society and academics," it had come to the conclusion that nationalist calls for fanaticism and organized hate groups

In the wake of the New Zealand mass shootout earlier this month, many world leaders called on social media companies to take more responsibility for the extremist material posted on their platforms

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardran said social networking was "the publisher, not just the author of the publication," referring to the possibility that these networks could be held accountable for the material posted on its platforms

Facebook has previously acknowledged that a video of the attack, which killed 50 people, received more than 4,000 views before being deleted

The company said within 24 hours it had banned 1.2 million copies while it was loading and another 300,000 copies had been deleted

A group representing French Muslims is suing both Facebook and YouTube for allowing the New Zealand attack to be broadcast on their platforms

Other technology companies have taken steps to crack down on video sharing. The social networking site Reddit banned a discussion forum on the platform after the footage of the attack on the forum page

Valve, the developer of video games, said it had deleted more than 100 "tribute" written by users seeking to commemorate the attacker

No comments